Monday, September 28, 2009

Tartine's Brownies

Although I've been baking this past weekends, they were all stuff I've baked and posted about before. So I won't bore you with those anymore. But I still have some baking that I did last week, which I haven't shared with you about. One of them is this Tartine Brownies. :)


So I just bought two new cookbooks and one of them is Tartine. It's a collection of recipes of the goodies that they make over at the Tartine Bakery in San Francisco, CA. As I read the opening chapters of the book, I grew amazed at how this bakery has grown in size but still able to maintain its authenticity. This bakery was founded by a couple who loves to bake and they insisted on using only fresh, local, and in-season ingredients. This way, they ensure that all their products have awesome taste and a homemade feel. They also make everything they sell on the same day to make sure that everything stays fresh and customers are able to taste the goodies as soon as possible after it came out of the oven. :) I just love how they run the bakery and I'm truly inspired.

I left the book at home and therefore don't have the recipe on hand to share it with you all, but if you're interested let me know and I'll type it in for you. :) This brownies is another long story though. Here goes...

The recipe stated that this brownies is supposed to be fudgy and as such, you cannot use the "thin knife inserted in will come out clean" test. The way to make sure that the brownies are done is if the top has developed a soft crust. It also calls for a 25 minute baking time at 350F. So I followed the instructions carefully - I waited 25 minutes, ensured that a soft crust has developed, and took it out of the oven to cool on a cooling rack. Well, I was planning to bring it to the office the next morning for snacks only to discover that the brownies are way to fudgy! >_< The batter was still like a thick smoothie and there's no way I was able to cut it up into squares. So I left it at home and baked it again at 350F for another 10 minutes as soon as I get home from work. I waited till the next morning to bring to work and discovered that the brownies were still too gooey. *sobs...* Finally, after a third time in the oven for another 15 minutes at 350F the brownies were cut-able. :p

LOL!

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder Yos!! Your sharing is a blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete