Monday, September 7, 2009

French Brownies

With an extra day of labor day holiday (courtesy of my company's newly implemented policy of mandatory PTO), I spent all day Friday baking. Yes... all day Friday :) I've posted the green tea cupcakes that I made and now I'm sharing this French brownies with you guys.

When I was reading through my favorite baking book, this brownies recipe really caught my attention because of several reasons:

1. It's French - anything French sounds fancy
2. It has rum - I believe that everything taste better with a little bit of rum
3. It has raisins - I'm a big fan of these small bites of delight!

Since I have the time and the ingredients ready on-hand, it only make sense for me to put the recipe to test. :) And the results was awesome! Once more, Dorie does not disappoint. The brownies were perfectly fudgy and not overwhelmingly sweet. You can taste a hint of rum and the occasional raisin discoveries while munching away is wonderful!



Recipe adapted from Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup raisins
1 1/2 tbs water
1 1/2 tbs rum
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
12 tbs unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar

Preheat the oven to 300F and line an 8" baking pan with greased foil. Sift the flour, salt, and cinnamon together and set aside.

In a small saucepan, boil the raisins and water together until almost all the water has evaporated. Pour in the rum and let it warm for 30 seconds. Remove the saucepan from heat and ignite the rum to let some of the alcohol burn out. Wait for the flames to die out and set aside.

Melt the chocolates in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water, being careful not to burn them (try to maintain the chocolate at about 95F-98F). Take it off from the heat and stir in the butter until all is melted.

In another mixing bowl, mix the eggs and sugar until thick and pale (about 2 minutes). Pour in the chocolate mixture and mix until well blended. Using a spatula, fold in the sifted flour mixture followed by the raisins (along with any remaining liquids). Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until a thin knife inserted in comes out clean.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment