Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Strawberry Tart

I made these sometime last week but I've been procrastinating in updating my blog for it. This is actually a milestone for me because it's the first time for me to make tart shells. :) I grew up with fruit tarts at home and I've always wanted to be able to make my own.

The main reason that I'm making a strawberry tart instead of a fruit tart is the fact that H-E-B was selling strawberries for $0.97/lbs!! Yes... I know... it's such a good deal and I just can't resist. The strawberries were so red, fresh, and smelled so sweet.

I read a lot about tart shells before I actually made one. Some of the lessons I learnt from my research are:

1. Don't over mix the ingredients as it will result in tough tart shells
2. keep it cold to prevent shrinkage
3. brush a thin layer of egg whites while baking the tart to keep it crisp


I brought this over to my friend's house for a potluck and I think it was well accepted by the group. :) I only had 15 minutes to assemble the whole tart (including slicing the strawberries) and thus the messy look on the tart. I think I'll give myself more time in the future so that I can have a perfect little strawberry tart. :)

1 comment: