Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mudslide Cookies

I had promised my coworker to bake some cookies for him. I looked through my recipe books and I found this interesting mudslide cookies recipe. This cookie has some coffee flavor mixed with bittersweet chocolates. When I make this cookie, the batter is pourable and is really not like any other cookie dough that I've seen or made. It's more like a brownie batter than cookie dough. The recipe book does say that the batter will be "almost pourable" but I didn't imagine it to be so liquid-y. Despite that, the cookies taste yummy! Although the next time I make this, I'll use more coffee for stronger flavor.

The recipe is from "Baking at Home with the CIA" (I halved the recipe for my cookie batch and it yields a good 24 large sized cookies):

3/4 cup + 2 tbs cake flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbs instant coffee
1 tbs boiling water
1 tsp vanilla extract
7 oz unsweetened chocolate coarsely chopped
6 oz semi sweet chocolate coarsely chopped
8 tbs butter
7 large eggs
2-3/4 cups sugar
2 cups chopped walnuts
1-1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Melt the instant coffee in boiling water and add the vanilla extract. Melt the chocolates and butter in a saucepan under low heat. Using a hand mixer with a whisk attachment, mix the eggs, sugar, and the coffee mixture for about 6-8 minutes on high. Then whisk in the chocolate mixture at medium speed followed by the dry ingredients at low speed (just until incorporated).

Using a 1/4 cup measure as a scoop, fill it with dough and drop it into a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave about 3-4" between the cookies. Bake the cookies in batches for about 14 minutes or until the top of the cookies are slightly cracked. Cool slightly in baking sheet before transferring it to cooling racks to cool completely.

Enjoy!

2 comments: