Monday, February 2, 2009

Chocolate Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache and Raspberry Buttercream

It's my very first fondant cake! I am VERY excited about it and I'm pretty satisfied with it.


The story began when my friend asked me to bake a birthday cake for her daughter's 1st birthday. What an honor for me! First birthdays are always very important for the parents and for the little girl herself (when she's old enough to understand). I was very excited about this "prospect" and at the same time nervous. I wanted to make a cake that is memorable, taste good, and looks cute. When I got this cake order, I had never touched fondant before. I believe the call was on a Saturday night. Then on Sunday, I started playing with fondant. I made a little duck, little boy and girl, and a little turtle. It was after the turtle that I decided to make a fondant cake for my friend's daughter, Stina.

I had so many ideas floating in my mind. I knew that I wanted to make something simple - since this will be my very first time covering a cake with fondant. I also knew that I wanted the cake to be cute and girly. I also wanted the cake to be one of a kind. With all that in mind, I finally decided to make a cake in the shape of the little girl's face. :)

The cake itself is a 3 layer buttermilk chocolate cake filled with dark chocolate ganache and raspberry italian meringue buttercream. I then covered the cake with vanilla italian meringue buttercream. I waited for the frosting to crust and then covered it with fondant. It was SO MUCH FUN!

The sad part was that I couldn't make it to the birthday party. :( I really wanted to go, but I had to work that Saturday. The cake made it to the party with Alvin's help and, from what I heard, they loved the cake! It's all worth it... all those hours and energy... it's totally worth it!

I think that this cake really boost my morale in making more fondant covered cake. Which is exactly what I did for the following Sunday. :p

3 comments: