Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sugar Cookies

I've made cookies before since I was in Singapore (although not very often), but I have yet to make a cut out cookie until this time. I've typically made chocolate chip cookies or peanut butter cookies or oatmeal raisin cookies that can't really be made into shapes - except for somewhat round shape. So this time, while thinking of ideas for my friend's bridal shower party, I tried making sugar cookies.

This is also my first time making royal icing. It turns out that making the icing is so much easier than decorating with it. I used a no. 1 tip to make the outline, but it still produces thick lines. I think I put too much pressure while squeezing the pastry bag. I shall try better next time. :)

I love how the colors turned out. The pastel colors gave a subtle feeling to the cookies. As you may notice above, the green and orange hearts are glossy while the blue and pink hearts are matte. This is because the picture is taken before the orange and green icing dried.

Since I only had 2 cookie cutters when making these, I can only make hearts and flowers. The speech bubble above is a free hand attempt of using left-over cookie dough. :p

4 comments: