Monday, November 3, 2008

Apple Cupcake with Brown Sugar Icing

Since I was done with busy season at work, I thought that I should try a new recipe and explore this weekend. I did and I dragged Nana into it. I originally wanted to bake the Butterscotch Mascarpone Cream Layer cake from Tartlette but I wasn't successful in making it. The cake layers turned out to be very oily (greasy) and dense. I am not quite sure as to where I went wrong, but I'll try that cake again in the future. After the failed baking incident, I am still curious about trying new recipe. After some google-ing, I found this apple cupcake recipe from Martha Stewart.



For the Apple Cupcake

Ingredients
(Makes 2 Dozen)

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 cups coarsely shredded apples, such as Macintosh (about 1 3/4 pounds)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Line 2 standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside.
  3. Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
  4. Put butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
  5. Mix in eggs and vanilla.
  6. Reduce speed to low; mix in apples.
  7. Add flour mixture; mix, scraping down sides of bowl as needed, until just combined.
  8. Divide batter among lined cups, filling halfway; bake until tops are springy to the touch, 18 to 20 minutes.
  9. Remove cupcakes from tins; transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

For the Brown Sugar Buttercream

Ingredients
(Makes about 2 cups)

2 large egg whites
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons

Directions

  1. Put egg whites, sugar, and salt into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
  2. Whisk until mixture registers 160 degrees, about 4 minutes.
  3. Beat on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 6 minutes.
  4. Reduce speed to medium-low. Add butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition (meringue will deflate slightly as butter is added).
  5. Beat until frosting is smooth and glossy, 3 to 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment