Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Strawberry Ice Cream

Alvin got me an ice cream maker (an extension to the KA mixer) for my birthday and I am extremely excited about it. It's been about 2-3 weeks in my possession and I finally had the chance to use it last night. The main reason for the delay is the amount of waiting time involved in the process. The ice cream maker has to be stored in the freezer for at least 15 hours prior to use, the batter has to be chilled for at least 8 hours in the refrigerator prior to churning, and the soft serve ice cream has to be kept in the freezer for another 4 hours to harden. Phew! That's a lot of hours!

I finally made it a point to store the ice cream maker in the freezer for a week (while I stayed in Galveston for work) and start the batter process Sunday morning. I had intended to make french vanilla ice cream to start the experience but seeing the leftover strawberries from the mini cheesecake deal, I just can't let them go to waste. So I decided to use them for my ice cream. :)


This recipe is courtesy of KA:

2 1/2 cups half-and-half
8 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups strawberries, chopped
3 tsp sugar

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the half-and-half until very hot but not boiling, stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside.

Place egg yolks and 1 cup of sugar in mixer bowl and mix until well blended and slightly thickened. Very gradually, add the half-and-half and mix until blended. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture is steamy and small bubbles form around the edge, stirring constantly. Transfer the half-and-half mixture to a large bowl and stir in the heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. Cover and chill thoroughly for at least 8 hours.

Add the chilled batter to the ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions. While ice cream is processing, combine the strawberries and 3 tsp sugar. Let stand while ice cream is processing. Add the strawberries to the ice cream maker in the last 2-3 minutes of the freezing time.


These pictures are all taken by Alvin. :) I really think he's getting so much better at this photography thing. He had learnt so much in the 1 month that we own the Canon. I'm very proud of him and very encouraged by his eagerness to learn.

On a random note, we are 221 days away from our wedding! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment