Thursday, August 20, 2009

Chewy Chunky Blondies

This week I have been driving back and forth to Galveston instead of staying at the hotel there. I really think I like this better because I can be at home baking and spending time with Alvin. :) This one is my Tuesday baking project: blondies.

When I told Alvin that I'm making blondies, he asked "What's blondies?"

So I told him that blondies are blond brownies. :p I think that's the idea, right?


This one is again courtesy of Dorie Greenspan, from my favorite baking book "Baking from my home to yours." I love how the blondies turned out. It was crunchy on the crust but moist and chewy when you bite on it. Just like the name Dorie gave to these. :p

Adapted from Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (8oz or 2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup almonds, chopped
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Preheat the oven to 325F and spray with PAM a 9x13 baking pan and line it with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a larger mixing bowl using a mixer at medium speed, cream the butter and both the sugars together until light and airy (for about 3-5 minutes). Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition (for about 1-2 minutes). Mix in the vanilla extract. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the flour mixture, being careful not to over fold the batter. Mix in the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, almonds, and coconut and stir till incorporated in the batter. Pour the batter into the pan and try to smooth the top with the spatula.

Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the top crust is honey brown color and a thin knife inserted in comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before unmolding and cutting them into squares.

I'm bringing some of these to the office for a taste test. Hope it goes well :p

No comments:

Post a Comment