Sunday, June 28, 2009

Blueberry Muffins

I just got back from a 2 day 1 night trip from Vegas for Alvin's cousin's wedding (which was a lot of fun!) and got a chance to meet adorable little Jeff (Alvin's nephew in SF) one more time! :)

Before I write about the muffins, I've got to gush about this little boy for a bit. He is THE happiest baby I've ever met! He wasn't afraid of strangers and was comfortable playing with us from the first time we met on this trip. He loves to dance to hip hop music and his eyes twinkle a lot when he laughs. He got super excited over bananas and was just very easy to feed. He would walk/run, stumbled, and fell a little, but he would stand right back up with a smile on his face. Simply said, I fell in love with this little boy! :) I can't wait till we get to see him again.

(breathe in... breathe out...)

Okay... now about the muffins:


It started at H-E-B when blueberries were on sale for $1.50/pint and I immediately thought of making a blueberry dessert. :) I'm not as big a fan of blueberry as I am a fan of raspberry but since I've never really given this berry much of a chance to shine in my kitchen, I thought that I should open up some doors for these round purple thingies. :p SO I browsed through all my baking books in search for blueberry recipes and there were several that caught my eyes: blueberry crumble coffee cake, blueberry plain cake, blueberry ginger muffins, and good 'ol simple blueberry muffin. And as you may have guessed, I stick to the basic and therefore chose this simple blueberry muffins as a start. :)

I used the recipe from Baking at Home with the Culinary Institute of America and I really liked how the muffins turned out. The texture was really tender and the crumbs were really small and moist. My only regret was not filling in the muffin cups with enough batter and therefore did not achieve the little domes that muffins typically have. Anyways... here's the recipe:

2 cups + 2 tbs all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
8 tbs unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
Preheat the oven to 400F and line the muffin pan with paper liners. Sift 2 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt together into a bowl and set aside.

In a separate bowl, blend the milk, egg, and vanilla extract.

In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until light and smooth in texture (about 3-4 minutes). Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating it with the milk mixture, mixing at low speed until all the ingredients are blended together. Increase the speed to medium and mix until the batter is very smooth (about 2 minutes).

In a bowl, scatter the 2 tbs of flour over the berries and toss to coat them evenly. Using a spatula, fold the berries into the batter, working just long enough to distribute the berries evenly.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin pans and bake until the top of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed (about 18-20 minutes).

Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and remove it from the pan to finish the cooling process.

They're now ready to be consumed! I hope y'all enjoyed the muffins as much as I do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment