Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Creme Brulee

I've been wanting to make creme brulee for a while now and I finally got the chance to. This whole thing started with a 20% off coupon for Bed, Bath & Beyond, which I used to buy the blow torch used for creme brulee. Since then, I've been dying to use it for creme brulee.

I used Dorie Greenspan's recipe for this:

1-1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
3 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbs sugar for crust

It's really simple to make. First boil the cream and milk in a saucepan. In a medium bowl, mix sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract with a whisk to blend. When the cream-milk mixture has boiled, slowly pour 1/4 of the liquid to the egg mixture while continuously whisking it to temper the egg mixture. Then pour the remainder of the liquid into the egg mixture, stirring constantly until well blended. Strain the mixture into 6 ramekins and bake on top of a cookie sheet for 50-60 minutes at 200F.

When done, cool to room temperature and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Once cooled, sprinkle 1 tbs of sugar on top of the custard and use a torch to melt the sugar.

Ta da! It's done!


I tried modifying one of them by sprinkling green tea powder on top of the custard. I don't know how it turned out cause I haven't had a bite of that one. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment