Sunday, March 8, 2009

Chocolate-Chocolate Cupcakes

I've been into the chocolate mood lately as you can see in my recent blog posts. I've been intrigue by chocolate for a while now and have started realizing the goodness that chocolate brings to people. :)

The story of these chocolate-chocolate cupcakes began on Friday when I was helping Alvin move to his new apartment. I took Friday off to help with the move (after going to the dentist to get my crown done >_<) and I really enjoyed the "exercise" I did that day. However, we weren't able to finish the move that day as the large furniture needed to wait for the U-haul truck on Saturday. So to prep for the second day of moving, I baked a vanilla rum cake in the morning. I thought that morning dose of baking will give me enough "high" for the whole day. But after lots of moving, packing, and cleaning, I desperately need a second dose of baking to keep me on the high notes. :p

After browsing my favorite recipe book, I decided to make this chocolate-chocolate cupcakes. It's real simple to make but at the same time, it has a sophisticated look (at least the pictures in the book was sophisticated). I had lots of fun using my my ice cream scooper to measure out the batter in each cupcake and dipping the cupcakes into the chocolate glaze.

The cake recipe yields me 12 standard size cupcakes and 6 mini cupcakes. Here it goes...

For the cupcakes,

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
8 tbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350F. Line 12 regular-sized cupcake pan and 6 mini cupcake pan with paper mold (I fill the rest of the empty ones with water).

Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat the butter at medium speed until soft and creamy. Add the sugar and beat for about 2 minutes, until it is blended into the butter. Add the egg, then the yolk, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Beat in the vanilla, then reduce the speed to low and add half of the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear. Add the buttermilk and mix until incorporated and then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Add the melted chocolate and mix in with a spatula. Divide the batter among the cupcake pans and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centers comes out clean.

Transfer the cupcakes into a cooling rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before unmolding them. Cool to room temperature before glazing.

For the glaze,

3 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 tbs confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tbs cold unsalted butter, cut to 6 pieces

Melt the chocolates in a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Once melted, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Using a spatula or small whisk, stir in the sugar and then the pieces of butter. Stir until all the butter is melted and combined into the chocolate.

To glaze the cupcakes, dip the top of the cupcakes into the chocolate glaze and give it a little swirl. Let the excess chocolate glaze drip back into the bowl. Let the glaze set at room temperature, or in the fridge, if you're in a hurry.

I have to make a comment about Alvin. He too, was very tired with the move. If I have sore arms this morning, I can bet that his is worse. He had to carry lots of heavy loads and he worked really hard both Friday and Saturday. But in the middle of those tiring times, he took the time to take care of me, making sure that I wasn't working to hard or injuring myself. He also accompanied me in baking these cupcakes. He even volunteered to wash the dishes for me. When all those was done, he then willingly took the role of my promoter. :)

Two thumbs up for Alvin! I really feel blessed to have him in my life. He always encourages me and pushes me forward to be a better person. I thank God for him everyday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment